Friday, March 25, 2011

It's a Recipe!: Taco Bake

I love to really make a night of it and cook a big meal, but let's be honest... most nights there just isn't the time for that kind of involvement.  I seriously appreciate meals that can be made ahead of time & then popped in the oven laterNaturally, you think of lasagna when you think "prep now, cook later", but lasagna can take a while to prepare.  I don't always have that time... neither do you, I know.  "What is it that I do have time for?", you ask?(I asked for you... you're welcome.)
TACO BAKE!
I love me a taco bake, y'all!  It's yummy & quick & you only have to "dirty" two dishes b/c clearly you need to eat this on a paper plate.  You don't?  Well, whatever... we do!  Some things are meant to be eaten on a paper plate & taco bake is one of them :)
 Ingredients: 
Large tortillas
1 can refried beans
1 bag shredded cheese
1 pack taco seasoning
1 lb ground beef 
(may substitute beef with ground turkey or shredded chicken)

optional toppings:
shredded lettuce
tomato
avacado (or guacamole)
salsa
sliced jalapenos
sour cream
green onions
[whatever else your heart desires... but don't let your heart desire that liquid jalapeno cheese, cause it. was. gross! Thank goodness I tasted it before I used it on the dish!]

Cooking Instructions:
-In a medium skillet(dirty dish number one), brown 1 lb ground beef(or meat of your choice)
-Drain excess fat
-Follow directions on taco seasoning packet (usually add seasoning & 1 1/2 cups of water)

-In a pie plate/round baking pan/tart pan (Your second and final dirty dish!)
layer tortilla, beans, beef & cheese
Repeat 3 more times
(If you're prepping this in the morning, go ahead and cover it and pop it in the fridge now!)
-Bake covered at 375 degrees for 15 minutes
-Uncover & bake for 10 more minutes
-Top it how you like it & Nom nom nom!
Make this recipe lower in fat by using:
-lean ground beef, turkey or chicken 
-greek yogurt in place of sour cream
-low fat cheese

Happy Weekend, everyone!


Photobucket





15 love notes:

  1. My boyfriend and I made something very similar to this a few weeks and it was AMAZING!! We were both beyond stuffed. And it actually made 2 cake pans worth (yeah, we used cake pans ha) and each was 4 layers I think. And this reminded me, I still have a whole one in the freezer, and I think he's coming tonight-looks like dinner is made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woozers...that looks YUMMY!!! I just love mexican food! Have a lovely weekend!

    Liesl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love any kind of Mexican food, and all the Mexican responses to Lasagna have made my life better. Seriously!

    CarissaExplainsItAll

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum this looks good and quick i just miht make it tonight. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!! I will totally be trying this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great! You are the cutest with your nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Honey!

    We ended up not coming b/c of weather :(

    I will let you know when we reschedule.

    That looks awesome.

    You need to link it up Friday on my recipe swap!!

    have a great weekend sweetie.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks good! I'm always looking for new meals, but super easy ones. I'll be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely need to make this tonight! Thanks so much for sharing!!! I am your newest follower!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my yum girlfriend!

    This looks delish. I love me some mexican, I was there last night:) (working on my flat tummy, can't ya tell?LOL)

    I will def. be making this!!

    Thanks for linking up this morning. I hope you have a fun weekend.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really good!!! Definitely something my family would enjoy! :) Hopping over from FF&P! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My boyfriend and I are vegetarian, and instead of meat use black beans. I know it's pretty beanie, but it's just as filling and perfect for out veggie-only diet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a gluten allergy and this will be perfect with corn tortillas!

    ReplyDelete

You've always been my favorite... don't tell the others!