Thursday, March 1, 2012

Writer's Workshop: Showing your age

When is the last time I did a Writer's Workshop with Kathy?  The answer to that is, I have no idea.  Which means... it's that time, kids!
[This is the same rule MR uses for buying me flowers.  If he can't remember the last time he did, it's time to come home with flowers.  I quite like this rule.]

Analyze a popular song you heard on the radio…what exactly does it all mean?

I am going to write the lyrics out and interject when I see fit.

"Someone Like You"
by Adele
I heard that you're settled down
That you found a girl and you're married now.
[Been there, girlfriend.  I get it.]
I heard that your dreams came true.
Guess she gave you things I didn't give to you.
[I highly doubt that]

Old friend, why are you so shy?
Ain't like you to hold back or hide from the light.
[Because you two can't be just friends, lady.  It's not what you're used to or good at.  Also pretty awkward for that lady of his, don't you think?]
I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I had hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.
[Wait, huh? What are you doing girl? Get out of there! Haul ass cause shit's about to get WEIRD.]
Never mind, I'll find someone like you
[WTF, Adele? That's not the way you come out of a relationship.  You come out and you look for BETTER.  Not someone just like him.]
I wish nothing but the best for you too
[Again, I feel you.  But also, you're kind of secretly hoping that karma nips him in the hind quarters, right?]
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead,
Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead, "
Yeah
[He sounds smart, ya know... for a stupid guy.]

You know how the time flies
[Whew, don't we all?]
Only yesterday was the time of our lives
[Aint that the truth?  Why is it that it only feels like yesterday when you're thinking about the good times?  When you think about the bad, it feels like it's been happening FOR.EV.ER.]
We were born and raised
In a summer haze
Bound by the surprise of our glory days
[I like rhymes too]
I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it.
I'd hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
That for me it isn't over.
[Freaking again?]

Never mind, I'll find someone like you.
[It's like I'm talking to myself here.]
I wish nothing but the best for you too
[I kind of believed you the first time, but I'm growing skeptical.]
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead."
Yeah

Nothing compares
No worries or cares
Regrets and mistakes
They are memories made.
Who would have known how bittersweet this would taste?
[I did.  I totally did!  I called it.]
Never mind, I'll find someone like you
I wish nothing but the best for you
Don't forget me, I beg
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead."
[Remember how he tried demanding that he be paid for inspiring this song and your latest album?  I bet he didn't sound nearly as poetic as this then.]

With Adele's gorgeous voice and melodic tunes, it's easy to forget how young she is.  This song reminds me every time.  The name of her album is 21... I've already signed my name on the pre-order form for 
Adele: Late 20's and over it. 

p.s.  I really do love Adele

12 love notes:

  1. I love Adele too! She is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bahahaha!

    This made my am, giggles before my coffee is done is a definite win!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, love your analysis of this song.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee. Loved this!

    Visiting from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! That was a really fun commentary. I should try this on every song on the radio. Or maybe I should just hire you to do it for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilarious! And yes, hindsight's a wonderful thing.

    (Visiting from Mama Kat's.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE THIS. Now I want to do this prompt ... for some song. If it were Adele, it would be the fire to the rain song and my intejection would involve a blow torch and noxious flammable gas - now put fire/rain together with someone like you and we're on a roll!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hilarious!!! this line: "I'd hoped you'd see my face and that you'd be reminded
    That for me it isn't over." always makes me think she's borderline stalking. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! It's been forever since I participated in the Writer's Workshop as well (in fact, my last post - period - was when I last participated in the workshop. But I'm giving my site an overhaul and came across a comment you left me and wanted to come visit again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Adele...she so captures that first heart ache. Not that I ever experienced it, but I imagine it must be close to what she was feeling when she wrote that song. Beautifully done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heart Adele, great pick apart of her song!

    ReplyDelete

You've always been my favorite... don't tell the others!