Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Wind, Rain, Fire... Heart

My hair is floating around me like a mermaid as I watch the candle on the bath's edge flicker.  I am warm and safe. It crosses my mind that there are plenty of people who are relying on candles in that very moment... not to relax, as I am, but to see.  Hurricane Sandy is threatening the Northeast and it is a bizarre feeling to not be stuck in the middle of it where we usually are.  

Hurricanes are rough. The wind comes in. The water begins to rise.  Sleep is non-existent whether it be from the discomfort of the temperature, the weather being too terrifying or from the worry in your heart simply not allowing for it.  Not having power for an extended period of time is difficult.  Not being able to get in touch with family and friends because of towers being down is agonizing.  Wading through water is both disgusting and scary.  Cold showers and cold sandwiches get old quick.  To be frank, it sucks.  It all just sucks.  But the hardest part is the aftermath.  At some point the sun is going to come out and you are going to be able to actually see the mess that is left.  Now is the time to pick yourself up by the bootstraps and chug along.  If you weren't personally affected by it, reach out to help someone who was... believe me, not only will it be good for you, but it will mean more to them than you could possibly fathom.  Pray for them, lend them a hand, send them some money, give them a reason to smile.  
Be compassionate. Show love.  Give them a reason to believe that everything is going to be okay.
Tumblr_mcpfxienig1rk3559o1_1280_large
My heart goes out to anyone who has been effected by this storm(or any other for that matter) and to the families of those who lost their lives during it. I am praying for your strength and resilience and sending love and positivity your way.


1 love notes:

You've always been my favorite... don't tell the others!